Fieldwork is a unique forum for artists to share developing works and exchange feedback, peer to peer. The Fieldwork structure reveals how each piece is perceived by others and fosters a detailed information exchange. Incisive and stimulating critiques are guided by an experienced facilitator. Comments focus on what's happening in the work and how each choice shapes the work, keeping the authorship of the artist constantly supported. Fieldwork cultivates insight into composition and strengthens one's ability to give critical commentary. Usually scheduled as weekly or bi-monthly sessions, many groups culminate in an informal showing open to the public.
- Gain new insight into your artwork
- Hone your critical perception
- Develop an effective communication tool
- Be motivated by a weekly deadline
Sign up for an upcoming session
Fieldwork groups are Mixed Discipline.
Performing artists working in all styles/genres/forms are welcome!
- Dance/movement: choreography, improvisation, solo, group
- Music: composers, songwriters, sound designers and improvisers creating instrumental, electronic/computer, vocal music
- Theater: plays, solos, monologues, standup, puppetry, improvisation
- Writing: narrative, postmodern forms, poetry, plays, short stories, memoir, novels
- Interdisciplinary: combinations of different disciplines and media, performance art.
As a founding program of The Field, this valuable method of feedback has been utilized and honed by artists for more than 20 years. Fieldwork is a core element in the Emerging Artist Residency and Artward Bound programs. Through the Field Network, Fieldwork is offered at sites across the US and in Europe.
Receive updates on upcoming workshops: Join Our Mailing List
212-691-6969 x 16